Wednesday, April 9, 2008

American Idol + Shout to the Lord? Really?

I knew this would hit the blogosphere fast. One posting reads….

As a finale, the Idols perform “Shout to The Lord”. They’re dressed in white and backed by a gospel choir. The song ends with a shower of white confetti.

Ah, yes. Nothing says confetti like a good rendition of Shout To The Lord. Unfortunately, this rendition wasn’t calling for any confetti. Besides the high cheese factor of the constants sing the song on the ‘ ‘Idol Gives Back’ episode, the visual production of the staging, lighting and effects did this song a total injustice.

To top it off American Idol decided to change some of the lyrics to make God a little more appealing to it’s audience. They started by singing "My Shepherd, My Savior, Lord there is none like You..." rather than singing the actual lyrics: "My JESUS, My Savior..." I guess it would be too controversial to actually make it clear that the Lord that they're shouting to is Jesus.

This all reminds me of Exodus 20:3 & 4. Who is your Idol?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I can't believe they changes the lyrics to "my comfort" and "my shelter"...watering down a very powerful worship song definitley put a bad taste in my mouth.

April 10, 2008 at 12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if Hillsong or Integrity Music authorized the removal of Jesus from the song? By copyright law I think it would to be authorized, and if so prayer and a boycott of these companies shoudl start right.

April 10, 2008 at 12:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would like to know who requested the words be changed and who authorized this.

April 10, 2008 at 12:29 AM  
Blogger Electric Swej said...

I think it is ironic that a “Praise the Lord” song was sung after an entire show about how unfairly and needlessly innocent people are suffering and dying!
Why praise God for this!?

I would have chosen a song praising human compassion to overcome God’s indifference!

April 10, 2008 at 12:30 AM  
Blogger Aaron Brown said...

God din't create indifference, man did.
Open your eyes buddy!

April 10, 2008 at 1:54 AM  
Blogger Bill Swaringim said...

I can't imagine an international tv show like this not gaining the rights to change the lyrics from the writer or publisher. Although, like most bloggers are writting this is a 'great thing' for the christian world - A chrisitan song being sung on Idol.

I agree with Evan though - watering down the song and taking Jesus out of it -along with the confetti (HA!) is a bad taste.

April 10, 2008 at 7:52 AM  
Blogger MCW said...

Instead of focusing on the negative, I think we should be encouraged that for the length of 1 song, it forced millions of people to pause...take notice, that they were singing praise to Jesus...and even though they didn't say His name, I believe that he was glorified. Hollywood may have changed the lyrics, put flashy lights to try to wrap this up in a different package, but truth is it was about praising God. Pretty gutsy move for some producers since there are probably people of all faiths who watch the show. Rather than bashing Hollywood for moves like this, I would encourage them. They may be in it to make money, but God will use it to glorify himself. Think of the teens who were watching and maybe for a few minutes yesterday they slowed down long enough to even consider who God is...Jesus will use it all.

April 10, 2008 at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home