Thursday, April 10, 2008

American Idol sings Shout To The Lord

This whole American Idol singing Shout To The Loft is still bothering me. And I was right – this topic now floods the results page when googgling it. I am not totally sure if I am bothered by the lyric changes that were made for the show or if it was the way the contestants were staged and performed the song or just the fact that all the Christians on the internet are so thankful a show like that would do a Christian song.

Music is art. Art is free for interpretation of the one interacting with the art –rather it’s the interpretation the artist meant for it to be or not. The words that were changed in the song did not change the song’s ‘Christian’ status. In fact, I wonder if the original author of the song would have used the new lyrics if this song would still be as timeless as we all believe it to be. There is some thought that the lyric change is watering down the message to make it more palatable for the wide audience American Idol reaches. Is that right or just politically correct for our current culture? I serve in a church that uses music and media to open minds of those in attendance. Often this music is secular and based on the message the song can communicate. We do our share of worship music too, but don’t change to lyrics to make it more appealing to those in attendance.

I always appreciate when music or media has a message that is morally correct. Whether it comes out of the secular culture or Christian culture. So I love the fact that American Idol took on a worship song. I’m not sure what they were trying to achieve with a song like this and why they decided to change the lyrics. If it was to beefing up the audience base would a song like this do it? If was to beefing up the audience base then why in the world did the follow the song with Ben Stiller coming out and having every other work bleeped as he rants while the credits roll.

So I guess what really is bugging me is how this song was performed. Backed by a choir of faces familiar to the dancers on the show, the contestants wearing all white did a side step sway to the mid tempo ballad. It was disappointing to see talent and a show like this stoop low for the production of this song. For me, it was all but worshipful - the staging, lighting and the confetti….yes, confetti. Is this really what people think Christian music looks like? The cheese factor made me shake my head and laugh.

Sorry American Idol. If this was your attempt to get me to watch your show more consistently I think you blew it.

So, here’s to a good laugh….

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

complete with a key change and everything! I half expected Bill and Gloria to walk out on stage with them.

April 10, 2008 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger seventy2 said...

I saw it to last night and when I heard they were gonna sing Shout to The Lord, I was taken back. Then the first line was sang, and I tell you what, my heart sank . . . deep. They didnt say anything when Mariah and Dolly mention Jesus, but they literally ripped Jesus out of our ANTHEM! And I belive that there is something totally behind this. They dont just sing shout to The Lord for no reason and then dont even mention Jesus in both lines that Darlene made sure she had in there. Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that JESUS is Lord. Wow, do we have so much to cherish in The Name above all Names, and while I do agree that it is good that God is being sang about, no matter their motives, it still doesnt impress Jesus at all. They worship me with their lips and their hearts are far from Me, He says.

American Idol is HUGE and they make millions, they are very concise in what they aim to achieve, so i'm very curious as to why they would sing our song and remove Jesus out of it. I could go on and on and I know I may sound harsh and insensitive, but when we live in a country that is constantly pushing to remove Jesus from all fronts, it totaly breaks me heart. Just my two cents.

Thanks for putting this post up.

April 10, 2008 at 6:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

KUDOS TO AMERICAN IDOL TONIGHT 4/10FOR OPENING THE SHOW WITH SINGING ONCE AGAIN, SHOUT TO THE LORD~EXCEPT WITH THE CORRECTED LYRICS, OF MY JESUS, MY SAVIOR: TOTALLY AWESOME, THANKYOU!

April 10, 2008 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger Bill Swaringim said...

great comments Don. Thanks.

April 11, 2008 at 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home